Difficult Conversations are the ones we’d rather put off. They consume our thinking leading up to them, they are uncomfortable, awkward and sometimes intimidating. It can be painful while they’re happening and then we ‘replay the mind tapes’ afterwards – with ‘what we said’, and then with ‘what we wished we’d said’ and then with ‘what we really felt’ and it can cause all those emotions all over again.
Left unsaid, these conversations fester, distort & affect our relationships. Done badly, they erode morale and affect performance. And they can cause stress, anxiety, apathy and frustration for everyone concerned.
The one thing that they hardly ever do, is go away on their own!
This course looks at how to handle these challenging conversations using an 8-step blueprint that will help you feel more prepared, communicate confidently and in stay in control of the situation and yourself, which means things will go more smoothly, and you’ll have a far better chance of getting to the best possible outcome for all involved. It also means that you (and they) will experience less stress and anxiety in the process.
£199 + VAT (Early bird)
£230 + VAT (Standard rate)
Early bird offer is available 2 months before course date.
Includes lunch, refreshments, full set of course notes and CPD Certificate.
Also available as a school Inset
By the end of this programme you will be able to –
- Understand the problem and select appropriate level of approach to deal with it.
- Identify & visualise the best possible outcome.
- Effectively prepare physically for the conversation
- Use a number of strategies to prepare mentally
- Select the best way to start a difficult conversation
- Deal effectively with sensitive situations
- Think on your feet if the conversation takes an unexpected turn
- Remain calm if the individual starts being offensive
- Know what to say when everything else fails
Plus, we will look at 4 typical difficult conversations in depth –
- Delivering Bad News (and saying no)
- Giving critical feedback (performance & behaviour)
- Resolving Conflict (direct & indirect)
- Asking for Help (Influencing & Motivation)
Course LeaderEllen Watts
obvious the Atlet team felt the same. You exceeded all our expectations and made the
whole session enjoyable.
approached the subject in a variety of ways, ie: role play, group discussions etc.
of the most engaging, entertaining, knowledgeable and interesting trainers I have
encountered - and believe me, I have come across a few at my age!!