One of the greatest challenges facing schools is how to improve school attendance in Wales not least because of its critical importance for school inspections.
Therefore, it is timely to hold a Welsh Conference to consider and discuss not only the nature and impact of these challenges but also to provide some evidence on best practice and new approaches.
The Conference will present the latest research evidence on improving school attendance and discuss a wide range of related issues such as safeguarding, disaffection, registration, inspection, penalty notices and how to improve your school’s attendance all presented by experts and practitioners from outstanding and best practice institutions. There will be ample opportunity for questions, discussion and networking.
This Conference is appropriate for a wide range of potential delegates including head teachers, deputies, SLT and middle managers, staff with responsibility for school attendance within schools, attendance officers, education welfare staff, education social workers, home-school relationship and liaison officers, specialist classroom assistants, learning school mentors and all those with a professional interest in improving school attendance.
The specialist inputs will feature contributions from well-known specialists in the field including Professor Ken Reid OBE, Victoria Franklin and Nicola S Morgan.
Professor Reid will begin the conference by questioning the rationale behind some of the existing government policy and practice and will tease out best practice from the evidence of both UK and International research as well as examine what is happening inside schools.
Improving School Attendance National Conference, 2018 – London – NSM Training & Consultancy
- To analyse the latest research evidence on improving school attendance.
- To unpick the latest government’s policy and practice.
- To understand Estyn’s expectations and the inspection attendance strategy.
- To examine the issue of school refusal and how this should be managed.
- To provide some of the latest on-line approaches to managing and improving school attendance.
In addition, the conference will consider:
- How to gain a deeper understanding regarding the Supreme Court decision on unauthorised holidays;
- Some practical ways of understanding and addressing persistent absence;
- Respond to the latest rules regarding Penalty Notices;
- Understand the importance of early intervention;
- Discuss the impact of pupils’ and families’ mental health issues;
- How to implement effective strategies to engage families to improve attendance;
- Some practical ways to engage hard to reach families;
- How to make sure parents understand the legal implications;
- Provide some Intensive home support strategies;
- Give delegates a resource book containing speaker presentations and additional toolkits.
Course LeaderProfessor Ken Reid OBE
VenueImproving School Attendance Conference For Wales 2018 - CardiffMore Details
Deputy and Assistant
Heads of Year
Family Engagement Officers